Why Waiting Until Marriage Should be the Norm

Recently I came across an article about a Christian artist who I listen to quite frequently on the JoyFM radio station. Colton Dixon, an alum from American Idol, gave his testimony about how he and his wife remained abstinent up until their wedding day and how they are both very glad that they did. He gives his testimony to People magazine here.

It didn't take too long after him sharing his story for the negative comments to come flowing in on various message boards. We live in a highly sexual driven society, who also doesn't care one bit about God's standards or morals. It got me to thinking how sad it is that in today's society people actually think it's crazy or bizarre for a person to decide to stay a virgin until they get married. Not only is it backed up by God's Word,  but there are so many benefits in general of keeping yourself pure until the special day you get to say "I do" to your other half. I believe it's the best gift you can give to your spouse, by letting them know you waited just for them, for them to have one of the most intimate parts of you and for them only.


I actually believe it should be the norm to wait and not the other way around. It should be the norm to wait because sex can create soul ties. It's not good to be giving yourself away to so many different  people, and then your wonder why your so emotional and unhappy, it's because you are taking on the other persons baggage when you become physically one with them, just read the Word.

1 Corinthians 6:15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be! 16 Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, "THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH.

And it's never too late to make the decision to wait until marriage, even if you aren't a virgin anymore. If we come to God and repent of our old ways, He makes us new again. If you read some of me and my husband's story here I discuss how God can take any person and make them into a new creation, and how he even took me and transformed me (thank you Daddy! (: ).

I think it should be normal to wait because also, people, especially young women need to realize that they aren't just a piece of meat and sex doesn't equal love. I get so sad seeing the young girls, as young as middle school age being so wrapped around a boy not knowing he's only interested in having sex with her. I've seen plenty of relationships in my short lifetime so far end miserably, with the girl depressed because she thought he was the one. It's so important to not let our emotions be run by our hormones, that's why when sex is out of the equation we can think with a clear mind, and judge if the person we are with is truly with us because of love or lust.

ANY sin separates us from God, so if the person you're with is assisting you from separating with God by continuing to have premarital sex with you then they are more concerned with the state of your body and not the state of your soul. I learned from my husband that true love comes from waiting and making sure that I'm right with God, by being the leader of our home, through prayer and through deed.

Don't be ashamed if you're waiting, God truly honors you for doing so. And for those who have made the decision to wait, congratulations! It will be so worth it. Cheers to bringing purity back!


Love and happiness, 

Shaniqua

1 comment

  1. 'I learned from my husband that true love comes from waiting and making sure that I'm right with God'


    This!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top